PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEMS & DISORDERS
Referrals are accepted for an extensive range of psychological problems and identified disorders from anxiety disorders and trauma to depression and mood problems to more unusual conditions and psychotic disorders. Often, it is only by attending a Consultant that someone’s problems become defined and diagnosed when the person has suffered for many years without knowing what might be causing distress. A FULL and COMPREHENSIVE EVALUATION by a properly trained clinician is the best method of finding the correct, most appropriate and most beneficial help for psychological problems of all kinds.
We provide a range of evidence-based psychological therapies for clients. A list of available psychological therapies is provided below;
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Schema Therapy – A ‘deeper’ form of CBT
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Imagery Re-scripting & Reprocessing Therapy (IRRT)
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- Psychological Therapies for Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse & Domestic Violence
- Thought Field Therapy
- Behavioural Therapy
- Motivational Enhancement Interventions
- Facilitating Adjustment and Adaptation of Chronic Physical Illnesses
- Bereavement Therapy
- Pain Management
- Specialist Assessment & Treatment of Personality Problems and Disorders
- Specialist Assessment & Treatment of Sexual Deviance and Disorders
- Intellectual & Neuropsychological Assessment
- Anger Replacement and Aggression Management
- Marital / Couple’s Therapy
- Compassion Focused Therapy
PROCEDURE FOR REFERRAL FOR PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPY
A referral for therapy can be made using the ‘Contact Us’ link.
Once a referral has been received by us, we will process the referral as quickly as possible with a standard waiting time of 2-3 weeks from receipt of the request (dependent upon other circumstances; e.g. holidays etc.).
At first consultation, a number of issues will be discussed;
- A contract for therapy will be agreed at first consultation and fees will be discussed at that time
- You will be given time to discuss the problems you are experiencing and advice and guidance will be offered about what can be done to help. A “target list” of psychological complaints and problems will be openly discussed and agreed
- You will be asked to complete a series of relevant questionnaires or tests that will assist the Consultant to progress the psychological therapy as promptly and effectively as possible. If you have problems completing such questionnaires or tests, help will be provided to assist you to do so
- A shared description (known as a ‘psychological formulation’) will be achieved about the problems that require attention, discussion will take place about what psychological therapy, what psychological therapy will be best suited to address those problems and a contract agreed regarding time-limits for intervention
- The frequency and number of sessions will be discussed and agreed and psychological intervention will progress
- At a given stage of the process, you will be asked to evaluate the effectiveness and progress of intervention, but please be aware that you are able to openly discuss how psychological therapy is affecting you, for better or worse, at ANY TIME during intervention
WHAT TO EXPECT: THE ‘EXPERIENCE’ OF PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPY
As a new client, you will be asked to attend Malone Medical Chambers, 142 Malone Road, Belfast BT9 5LH; telephone number 02890 667676 (www.malonemedicalchambers.com) which offers a comfortable, modern location for consultation. If this venue is, for any reason, considered unsuitable or not practical, other venues can be agreed for the consultation such as your home, another office place etc.
The experience of being involved in psychological therapy is best described by those clients who have already completed this process. We would suggest you read the comments of clients who took part in Evaluation of Therapy projects since 2010 on our Patient Endorsement page.